The community's (Arley, Wilson Bend) first four settlers homesteaded land near this site in 1832. The little log schoolhouse, just 18 feet square, was built in 1874. The land, given by L.F. Hembree, is now the site of Bethel Cemetery. With no heat, a dirt floor, and split-log benches, the school played a major role in the development of Winston County. The first teacher, Isham P. Gibson, later became tax assessor and probate judge. A later teacher, John J. Curtis, became probate judge. One of the first students, Reverend George W. Gibson, was the community's first historian and the County's first farm demonstration agent. From its earliest days, the little schoolhouse also served as a church.