Reuben Humphrey Gaines
The above photo is courtesy of Trevia Hood and William Gaines. Reuben was born January 1, 1837 in Clayton, Rabun County, GA and died November 14, 1910 in Double Springs, Winston County, AL. He married 1) Mary Lucinda F. Whitmire about 1858 in Rabun County, GA, daughter of Stephen Whitmire and Mary Cobb. She was born 1836 in Pickens Dist., SC, and died March 7, 1859 in Cherokee Co., GA. He married 2) Mary Angeline Bailey about 1865 in Cherokee County, GA, daughter of James Bailey and Jane. She was born March 1843 in GA and died before 1910.
Reuben Humphrey was elected Justice of the Peace of Winston County, Double Springs, AL in 1880. Son John David was 6 years old at the time. He was Sheriff of Winston County 1887/1888. Son William Franklin was born to Mary Lucinda Whitmire, and John David was born to Mary Angeline Bailey. The 1859 mortality index for Cherokee Co. shows Mary Lucinda F. Gaines died during childbirth.
Reuben and Mary Angeline also had a son named Albert C. Gaines who was born in 1866 but died before 1880.
Reuben Humphrey served the Confederacy during the Civil War, in Co.B 38th GA infantry. He was wounded in the right arm at the Spotsyvania Court House Battle on May 12, 1864.
U.S. General Land Office certificate #8532 states that 120.30 acres of land were patented by Reuben in Winston Co., AL.
Reuben's Transcribed Death Certificate (Submitted by Louise Birchfield):
1. Full Name of Deceased: Reubin H. Gains
2. Date of Death: Month: Nov.; Day 14; Year: 1910; Hour: 9:30 P.M.
3. Place of Death (County): Winston, Beat 1
4. City or Town: Ward: Street and No: _______________
5. Place of birth of deceased (state or country): Georgia
6. White or Colored: White Male or Female: Male Occupation: Farmer
7. How long did deceased reside at place of death? Two Years
8. Where was disease contracted? Nauvoo Duration of Illness: 6 weeks
9. Principal disease causing death. Septicaemia
10. Contributory disease causing death: Cut by an axe
11. If homicide, suicidal, or accidental, state definitely how accomplished: ________________________
12. Did deceased undergo a surgical operation, and if so, when and what nature? No
13. Age: Years: 73 Months: 10 Days: 7 single, married, or widowed? Married
14. Full name of father of deceased: Jerry Gaines
15. Birthplace of father of deceased (state or country) Do not know
16. Full name of mother of deceased: Do not know
17. Birthplace of mother: Ga
18. Place of Interment: Fairview Cemetery
19. Remarks: ___________________________________________________________
Reporter Thos M. Blake MD
Post Office: Double Springs, Ala.