Cleere Hotel in Haleyville; photo courtesy of the Northwest Alabamian and Billie Fortenberry.
The following information is courtesy of the Northwest Alabamian and Joyce Farris: "Mattie and W.H. Cleere came to Haleyville about 1898 and lived in a house where the Illinois Central Depot now stands. Buying land from W.S. Biddle 1900, they erected a two-story frame hotel just west of the Northern Alabama (Southern) Railroad. This building burned in 1915 and was replaced in 1917 with a two-story brick structure...It was a grand style hotel in its day, serving as a home for many of the drummers (salesmen) of that time. Mrs. Cleere was known as the hostess 'par excellent.' This hotel later was known as Dixie Hotel and Kelly's Home for the aged."